Looking out my office window, I see the rain clouds approaching. Heavy rain is expected this weekend in Los Angeles. The number of car crashes during storms skyrockets. Here are some tips for safe driving in the rain:
1. Slow Down. This is the most important thing you can do. Driving at a slower speed will allow you to respond quickly to other vehicles which suddenly stop ahead of you or swerve into your lane of traffic. You will also be able to respond quicker to roadway debris and other road hazards.
2. Keep your distance. You need more stopping distance on wet pavement, so you need to allow more stopping distance between you and the vehicle ahead of you. Sudden braking can lead to skidding. Extra distance will give you a buffer zone.
3. Use the center lane. During heavy rain, water can collect at the curbside. Driving in the lane nearest to the center of the road will avoid the pooling water.
4. Avoid distractions. Particularly when it's raining, you need 100% of your attention focused on the roadway ahead of you and the vehicles around you. No texting, no cell phone use. Don't allow the radio or conversations with passengers to distract you.
5. Headlights on. Turn on your headlights during the rain so that you can see and be seen.
6. Check your tires. Especially in heavy rain, it is important that your tires are in good condition and are properly inflated. Bald tires on wet pavement are a common cause of skidding.
7. Check windshield wipers. Make sure they are in good condition. If they're skipping or streaking, you need to replace them
If you or someone you know was injured in a car, truck or motorcycle accident in the rain, call our Los Angeles law firm for a free consultation or free second opinion: (800) 999-9948.